The issues of protecting the elderly members in our family have been increasingly more complex – as planning must require expertise in income taxes, capital gains taxes, estate and gift tax, Medicaid eligibility, benefits coordination and planning consideration. Our law firm has the experience and the expertise to help develop a sensible estate plan and to avoid the financial ruin associated with the high cost of long-term care. Contact us today to start the process of understanding the issues surrounding Medicaid eligibility and to implement the planning and application process.

The high cost of long-term care has made planning a critically important issue for most middle-class seniors and their families. In fact, most seniors will likely require some form of long-term care. Sadly, many of them are unprepared for the significant financial burdens it places on their family. While some seniors can afford private pay care, the cost of long-term care will consume savings for all but the wealthiest families. Clients often rely on long-term care insurance to provide a degree of certainty and peace of mind. Another option is to rely on Medicaid. Medicaid is a joint federal-state program, which provides medical assistance to certain individuals who meet eligibility guidelines. Medicaid is the single largest payer of nursing home bills in America and serves as the option of last resort for people who have no other way to finance their long-term care. Although Medicaid eligibility rules vary from state to state, federal minimum standards and guidelines must be observed.

Representative of the elder law matters include –

  • File Medicaid application for community or nursing home
  • Appeal Medicaid determination to ensure full benefits (i.e. fair hearings)
  • Tax and estate planning analysis to determine eligibility requirements
  • Draft estate planning documents consistent with Medicaid rules
  • Protect Excess Income
  • Work collaboratively with Geriatric Care Managers to protect family members
  • Apply for legal guardianship and seek the appointment of a Guardian
  • Advise as to issue concerns domicile